Tax compliance and planning
Today's tax laws are complicated and even filing a relatively simple return can be confusing. It is easy to overlook eligible deductions and tax credits to which you are entitled to and inadvertently make reporting errors. My tax expertise is applied to your federal and state tax filings and to current changes in the law that may affect you in the future.
- Tax planning and consultation
- Tax return preparation for: individuals, partnerships/LLCs, corporations, trusts, estates and exempt organizations
- Amended returns
- Prior year returns
- Sales Tax
- Use tax, including form 2290
- City tax and business license
QuickBooks Setup and Review
The initial setup and installation of your software is essential to assure accuracy and efficiency. Issues such as using cash vs. accrual accounting methods and the use of specialized accounts are part of building an effective file.
- Evaluate your accounting and software needs.
- Recommend and install appropriate software product and version.
- Design and set up chart of accounts as well as security levels for multi-users.
- Input opening balances at start date.
- Enter financial transactions for the year(s).
- Train client and staff in using software modules that match their security level
- Monthly, quarterly or annual review of your QuickBooks data to assist in tax preparation and management reports.
- Setup and update QuickBooks Online
- Work closely with your own bookkeeper on your files maintenance
Business and Tax Records Organization
Reduce the stress and frustration in record keeping and retention. Follow simple directions, sort your records regularly and you will be prepared at year end.
- Provide an "ordinary and necessary" expense list that fits your industry.
- Provide a list of documents to bring to your tax appointment.
- Discuss manual and electronic techniques to track your income and expenses.
- Use of Excel spreadsheets to easily sort and summarize expenses.
New Business Formation
Being a small business owner is the fulfillment of the American dream . To be a successful new venture, the entity will set up a business plan that is both goal oriented and flexible, and will be aware of common pitfalls.
- Review your business plan to evaluate your financial, managerial and sales goals.
- Establish your start-up capital needs and identify your financial sources.
- Select a business structure that fits your needs, considering tax advantages, liability protection and ease of operation.
- Evaluate your hardware, budget and accounting needs and select the best accounting software for your entity.
- Establish billing and collection procedures.
- Apply for Federal Employer Identification Number.
- File state and local business license and permits.
- Setup company payroll calculation and electronic tax filing.
- Work closely with your support network - insurance agents, legal counsel, retirement administrators and financial advisors.
Business Management and Bookkeeping
Self employed business owners, entertainment industry professionals and real estate companies have complex financial needs that require technical proficiency and timely reporting.
- Evaluate your bookkeeping system and set up an effective system, tailored to your needs.
- Provide different levels of assistance, from bill paying to review of functions performed by your staff.
- Expense tracking techniques
- Define bookkeeping responsibilities and assist in training personnel.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations.
- Review of bookkeeping entries, troubleshooting and assessment.
- Monthly, quarterly or annual review of your general ledger.
Tax Exempt organizations
Tax filings for non-profit organizations have been recently revised by the IRS and require expanded recordkeeping and disclosure of information regarding the organization's governance and administrative policies. The IRS's intent is to improve the governance behaviors of organizations.
- File form 1023 recognition of non-profit status application.
- File state exempt organization forms.
- Set up new entity, apply for EIN#.
- Set up payroll and Electronic Federal Tax Payment system.
- Set up an accounting system that is custom tailored to this industry.
- Classify expenses and revenue for tax reporting.
- Prepare and file Exempt Organizations tax returns.
- Train staff in unique reporting requirements.